John’s gospel tells us about the seven signs—seven miracles that Jesus performed which, in a word, provided the credentials to back up His claim. And what was His claim? Jesus claimed to be God! He made this claim in a number of ways, most profoundly through His seven great “I AM” statements:
- I am the bread of life
- I am the light of the world
- I am the gate
- I am the good shepherd
- I am the resurrection and the life
- I am the way, the truth, and the life
- I am the true vine
These “I AM” statements echoed Exodus 3:14, where God revealed Himself to Moses at the burning bush. When Jesus repeating these words, He was making it crystal clear that He was God incarnate. And that is why the religious leaders sought so many times to put Him to death and ultimately nailed Him to a cross.
The seven miracles Jesus performed were proof that confirmed Jesus as the promised Messiah, who had come into this world to save His people from their sins. Here are those seven miracles, along with a statement of practical application to your life today, right where this finds you.
- Turning water into wine – Jesus is the answer for our disappointments
- Healing the nobleman’s son – Jesus is the answer for our doubts
- Healing the paralyzed man at the pool – Jesus is the answer for our disabilities
- Feeding of the 5,000 – Jesus is the answer for our daily bread
- Jesus walks on water – Jesus is the answer for our despair
- Healing of the man born blind – Jesus is the answer for our darkness
- Raising Lazarus from the dead – Jesus is the answer for our date with death
Now, Jesus is not the answer to many questions in life, such as what job we should have, the kind of car we should drive, the clothes we should wear, the food we should eat, who to marry, where we should live, and countless others. But when it comes to the major questions in life that matter most? Jesus is the answer and each one of the Master’s Miracles provides us with a map in which to find them.
Keep looking to Jesus, the author and perfecter of your faith.
This is the Gospel. This is grace for your race. NEVER FORGET THAT . . . AMEN!